Tocino is a sweet, marinated meat such as beef, chicken, or pork. This dish is one of the famous Filipino “silog meals,” meaning a dish that is traditionally served with garlic fried rice and eggs. Usually, I eat the pork version of this popular dish, so I decided to try making a chicken version that might be a little healthier. Enjoy the same recipe at home by following my easy-to-make chicken tocino.
1/8 cup pineapple juice, unsweetened
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon annatto powder
1 piece bay leaf
200 grams chicken
For Preparing the Ingredients:
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
For Cooking the Homemade Chicken Tocino:
- Frying pan
- Slotted spatula
Cook Time and Yield
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients except for the chicken.
- Marinate the chicken for a couple of hours or overnight.
- In a pan, heat water and add the marinated chicken together with the mixture.
- Simmer until tender. Adjust the amount of water if needed.
- Once water is fully absorbed, add small amount of oil and toss the meat.
- Serve with fried rice and sunny-side-up egg.
Tips and Techniques
- Adjust the amount of sugar to lessen its sweetness.
- Add more salt if preferred a bit salty tocino.
- Best serve this dish for breakfast.
- Marinate the chicken for longer hours to ensure a more tasty meat.